Monday, May 23, 2011


This is me around 1993. The magic of social networking and the internet brings long-lost people and photos back from obscurity.
I must have been 40 or 50 lbs lighter here. I had just bought this bike, I rode it everywhere. I would hear
people scream out PEE WEE! or the song from that movie. It was a little annoying, but I knew it came with the territory. At the time I really believed I was on the cusp of a huge biking revolution with my recumbent. I thought once everyone tried it, they'd never want to go back to a regular bike. It's so comfortable and fast, you don't get any of the neck or hand pain from being hunched over.
I let quite a few people ride it and almost all of them did it wrong, and killed my handlebars. They'd instinctively YANK up on them trying to support themselves. I tried being patient, I figured revolution takes time.

Well 14 years later, obviously it never worked out like that. It still gets looks, I still hear 'PEE WEE.' At least people know what it's called now. I still love riding it.
The biggest problem is locking it up in the city. You can't. People will sit on it or abuse it somehow. SO now I can only ride it when I know I'll be riding all day. This is from the 5 boro bike tour 2011:


Years before I had a car I used to carry groceries home on it, cases of catfood, and at one point my first air conditioner. This bike grew up with me. The company that made it stopped making them 10 years ago. So thanks to Google I found several more online.

I'll be riding it in the Boston-to-NYC ride in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment